Senior API and Operations Engineer
We're looking for an experienced software developer to build and maintain the APIs and backend systems for Reachora. You will be joining a smart and passionate team that have worked on a number of projects over the last few years, who care about diversity and shared reward, and who are passionate about our work.
About The Role
Reachora is a young product and we are looking for someone to be a linchpin in the development of our systems and processes. You will be directly responsible for building APIs and services that run Reachora, which require close to 100% uptime, fast performance, and excellent reliability. You'll be working along three other developers who have developed Reachora so far and who will be working specifically building artificial intelligence algorithms.
The role is remote. We are happy for you to be anywhere in the world! The current team is based in a mixture of Birmingham, London and Evesham. We meet in person sporadically but have daily conversation online through a mixture of video calls and Slack.
Different jobs fit different people. Our must important focus with anyone joining our team is that they will enjoy working with us that we will enjoy working with them. This is a good starting place to see if that might be you:
- We think your gender, race and sexuality are your business and irrelevant to how good you are at your job. It’s important to us that you feel the same way about others.
- We care about our work and what we do is an important part of our lives. It matters to us and it matters that you feel the same.
- We seek truth in our conversations. We each care about reaching the right conclusion and learning, not worrying about who came up with the idea. That means we respectfully challenge each others suggestions and are willing to have our ideas challenged. If you can detach yourself from your opinions and be open to being wrong (as well as right!) then you’ll enjoy solving problems with us.
- We’re a remote team of individuals with our own personal working habits and routines. Some days we focus on working by ourselves, and some days are spent chatting and brainstorming for hours. That means that both self-discipline and teamwork are crucial skills to us. Previous experience of working remotely in this way would be very valuable.
- We are a very autonomous team. We agree requirements and timescales as a group then go and execute, trusting everyone else in the team will do the same. It's therefore critical that everyone on the team is reliable, self-motivated and strive to meet the targets they commit to.
- We value grit and tenacity, doggedly attacking problems until we solve them. That grit is fueled by a passion for our work and the determination to do a good job. It's important to us that you have the same committed attitude to finishing what you start.
- Everyone in our team actively wants to learn and develop, both professionally and personally. We support and help each other in whatever challenges we are attacking and develop and grow together. If that sounds fun to you, then you’ll fit in well.
Things that matter to us
- You’re a developer that cares about operations.
- You’re intelligent and passionate about technology.
- You want to build systems that don’t break; where 100% uptime and reliability are things you strive for, and where you care about the little details. However, you believe that there’s no such thing as the “right way” and that everything is a serious of compromises and trade-offs.
- You have experience in building maintaining real production systems and have the scars and stories to prove it.
- You’ll ideally have experience in Ruby (specifically Rails), AWS, integrations and concepts such as pub/sub. In a perfect world you’d also have experience working with big data and video delivery.
Things that don't matter to us
- Formal qualifications - if you’ve got the experience, that’s all that matters to us.
- Your Github profile - if you have commits to open-source projects then we’d love to see them, but that’s not a prerequisite. We’re much more interested in knowing what you’ve done and hear your stories.
Your renumeration should be about more than money. This is what we offer:
Salary is dependant on what you bring to the role and will depend on the individual candidate. We anticipate a range of between £35k and £50k.
You will also receive share options in Reachora, which hopefully will prove significantly more lucrative for you in the long-run! The exact amount will depend on what you bring to the role. Share options are normally vested over three years with a one year cliff.
We're commited to building that team that respects each other. We'll take any problems you have seriously and we'll strive to make sure that Reachora is a great place for you to work.
We'll give you a shiny new Macbook for you to enjoy creating on.
Our team has a flexible holiday allowance. We believe rest and variety are crucial for a healthy, creative mind and so insist that you take at least 30 days off each year.
Live and work from wherever makes you the happiest and most productive. Hobbies and family are just as important as work, and we'll always try and support you in what you do.
There's little more important than personal development. We'll support you if you want to take courses, and we'll give you an Amazon account that you order books from, free to you and hassle-free.
How to Apply
If you think you would enjoy working with us and would be a good fit for the role, then please get in touch by emailing Jeremy Walker.